There are two release branches of GraalVM: 19.3.x and 20.x. GraalVM 20.1 is the latest feature release and GraalVM 19.3 is the planned Medium-Term Support (MTS) release. Critical bugs to the 19.3 branch will be backported for the next 18 months. Consult GraalVM support options and timelines. The most notable changes between the versions can be found in the release notes.
The following GraalVM Community Edition builds are available:
- GraalVM Community Edition 20.1.0 based on OpenJDK 8u252
- GraalVM Community Edition 20.1.0 based on OpenJDK 11.0.7
- GraalVM Community Edition 19.3.2 based on OpenJDK 8u252
- GraalVM Community Edition 19.3.2 based on OpenJDK 11.0.7
The following Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition builds are available:
- Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition 20.1.0 based on Oracle Java SE 8u251
- Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition 20.1.0 based on Oracle Java SE 11.0.7
- Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition 19.3.2 based on Oracle Java SE 8u251
- Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition 19.3.2 based on Oracle Java SE 11.0.7
GraalVM consists of core and additional components and is distributed as an archive. Check the distribution components list to understand what is included in the base GraalVM bundle. The GraalVM Updater tool provided by default can add support for optional components and install third party languages and tools.
GraalVM Community is available for free for any use. It is built from the GraalVM sources available on GitHub. We provide pre-built binaries for Linux/X86, Linux/ARM, macOS, and Windows platforms on x86 64-bit systems. The Python, Ruby, R and WebAssembly languages, and the distribution for Linux/ARM platform are experimental.
GraalVM Community Edition contains significant technology from other projects including OpenJDK and Node.js which are not maintained by the GraalVM community. GraalVM Enterprise Edition is recommended for production applications.
- OSI-approved open-source licenses allow you to use for any purpose
- Free community support via public channels
- Runs any program that runs on GraalVM Enterprise
GraalVM Enterprise provides additional performance, security, and scalability relevant for running applications in production. You can get a version of GraalVM Enterprise that is free for evaluation and developing new applications via the Oracle Technology Network (OTN), or a commercially licensed version for production use via the Oracle Store. We provide binaries for Linux, macOS, and Windows platforms on x86 64-bit systems. The Python, Ruby, R and WebAssembly languages, and the distribution for Linux/ARM platform are experimental.
- Faster performance
- Lower memory footprint for microservices
- Enhanced security features, including managed capabilities for native code
- Free for evaluation and for developing new applications
- Premier 24x7 support via Oracle Support non-experimental features
- GraalVM Native Image is supported