Installation on Windows Platforms
You can install Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition on the Windows operating system from an archive file (zip). Follow these steps:
- Navigate to Oracle GraalVM Downloads. Depending on the workload, select Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition based on JDK8 for Windows or Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition based on JDK11 for Windows.
- Click on the Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition Core download link. Before you download a file, you must accept the Oracle License Agreement in the popup window.
- When the download button becomes active, press it to start downloading **graalvm-ee-java
- Change the directory to the location where you want to install GraalVM Enterprise, then move the .zip archive to it.
- Unzip the archive to your file system.
- There can be multiple JDKs installed on the machine. The next step is to configure the runtime environment. Setting environment variables via the command line will work the same way for Windows 7, 8 and 10.
- Point the
PATHenvironment variable to the GraalVM Enterprise
setx /M PATH "C:\Progra~1\Java\<graalvm>\bin;%PATH%"
- Set the
JAVA_HOMEenvironment variable to resolve to the GraalVM Enterprise installation directory:
setx /M JAVA_HOME "C:\Progra~1\Java\<graalvm>"
Note that the
/Mflag, equivalent to
-m, requires elevated user privileges.
- Point the
- Restart Command Prompt to reload the environment variables. Then use the
following command to check whether the variables were set correctly:
echo %PATH% echo %JAVA_HOME%
Optionally, you can specify GraalVM Enterprise as the JRE or JDK installation in your Java IDE.
Prerequisites for Using Native Image on Windows
To make use of Native Image on Windows, observe the following recommendations. The required Microsoft Visual C++ (MSVC) version depends on the JDK version that GraalVM is based on. For GraalVM Enterprise distribution based on JDK 8, you will need MSVC 2010 SP1 version. The recommended installation method is using Microsoft Windows SDK 7.1:
- Download the SDK file
GRMSDKX_EN_DVD.isofor from Microsoft.
- Mount the image by opening
For GraalVM Enterprise distribution based on JDK 11, you will need MSVC 2017 15.5.5 or later version.
The last prerequisite, common for both distributions, is the proper Developer Command Prompt for your version of Visual Studio. On Windows the
native-image tool only works when it is executed from the x64 Native Tools Command Prompt.