Installation on Linux Platforms
Follow these steps to install Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition on the Linux operating system:
- Navigate to Oracle GraalVM Downloads. Depending on the workload, select Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition based on JDK8 for Linux or Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition based on JDK11 for Linux,
- Click on the Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition Core download link. Before you download a file, you must accept the Oracle License Agreement in the popup window.
- When the download button becomes active, press it to start downloading **graalvm-ee-java
- Change the directory to the location where you want to install GraalVM Enterprise, then move the .tar.gz archive to it.
- Unzip the archive:
tar -xzf graalvm-ee-java<version>-linux-amd64-<version>.tar.gz
- There can be multiple JDKs installed on the machine. The next step is to configure the runtime environment:
- Point the
PATHenvironment variable to the GraalVM Enterprise
- Set the
JAVA_HOMEenvironment variable to resolve to the installation directory:
- Point the
- To check whether the installation was successful, run the
java -versioncommand. Optionally, you can specify GraalVM Enterprise as the default JRE or JDK installation in your Java IDE.
- Native Image – a technology to compile an application ahead-of-time into a native executable
- LLVM toolchain – a set of tools and APIs for compiling native programs to bitcode that can be executed on GraalVM Enterprise Java on Truffle – a Java Virtual Machine implementation based on a Truffle interpreter for GraalVM Enterprise
- Python – Python 3.8.5 compatible
- Ruby – Ruby 2.7.2 compatible
- R – GNU R 3.6.1 compatible
- Wasm – WebAssembly (Wasm) These functionalities are not part of the GraalVM Enterprise base distribution and must be downloaded and installed separately.
To assist a user with installation, GraalVM Enterprise includes GraalVM Updater, a command line utility to install and manage additional functionalities. Proceed to the installation steps to add any necessary language runtime or utility from above to the GraalVM Enterprise core.